PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multi-million dollar simulators yet max crosswind practice is avoided.
Old 22nd Dec 2011, 13:02
decurion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear ZFT,

I disagree. These limitations are fully recognised by both simulator manufacturers and operators.
I am not sure what the basis is for this remark. Personal experience or results from a survey? I have seen several results from surveys conducted under training instructors and line pilots regarding the accuracy of simulators in representing gusty wind. The results indicate the many instructors believe that if they are able to program a simulator for a gusty crosswind situation it must be accurate otherwise they would not be able to do so. They were not aware of any restriction given by the simulator manufactures. Surveys amongst line pilots gave a classical result when asked how good the simulator represented gusty wind conditions. On a scale from very bad to very good the majority scored in right in the middle (neutral) with as many pilots finding it very bad as very good.

It can be quite difficult to get accurate wind models. It is not that the aircraft manufactures don’t have the data. Please refer to old studies like done by Boeing on this topic (results from this study are still used today in the level D simulators): Wind Models for Flight Simulator Certification of Landing and Approach Guidance and Control Systems

There have been numerous initiatives to improve ground modelling, however, the models used today are often not much different from those developed 20 years ago. See e.g.:

http://ftp.rta.nato.int/public//PubFulltext/AGARD/AG/AGARD-AG-333///00FRONT.pdf