PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The switch between AIRLINE job and BIZ jet job
Old 22nd Dec 2011, 11:55
His dudeness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That it would be harder work, when your actually at work.
That really depends on how the work/FD is structured. At my place I do EVERYTHING and that means also checking Invoices and settling issues we do have with suppliers - and that REALLY is hard work for me...cuase it just plainly sucks and it intrudes into the free time I`d have...

There is generally more time off (but many, many standby days)
Yes an no. See above.

Greater responsibilities (Customer Service, Aircraft cleanliness, Operational roles).
Definitely, but that gives me greater satisfaction.

Some interesting and random destinations with longer layovers, but more waiting around and uncertainty.
A lot of interesting destinations and more important, usually time to explore em. However some FD´s have just a few routes. Thats really boring then...(IMO)

More highly regarded as a professional (depends on the client), but I would imagine more so than flying a load of drunk customers down to the Canary's. - "More than just a number" as Sir Korsky mentioned.
I have had the pleasure to carry drunk guys around in my airtaxi time...but thats a real exemption. i have been invated by clients onto their boat in the Med, I´ve been invited to join them and see the game (Netherlands vs. Portugal in Lissabon), I have been invited to a 3 star restaurant, etcetc. I carried around Movie stars (e.g.Ed Harris), famous pop groups (e.g.U2) and singers (e.g.Phil Collins) and lots of other real interesting folks.

All in all, a lot more face time with the clients, and a lot more of a 'personal experience'.
See above, plus I have been very few times treated like a bondslave. Or rather they tried it, cause whilst willing to go extra miles I´m not the type let me be abused...

I reckon that you would also have to be an extremely flexible / adaptable character, to put up with a variable roster (unless you join a large operator e.g. NetJets).
Exactly.

Thanks again for everyone's comments. Hope this thread is helpful for those thinking of making the switch. It is imperative to think twice before undertaking such a massive career change!!
Correct. And whilst for the time being its shiny and nice for me, there have been other times as well, there are a lot of Jobs in our field I would not touch with a gripper. i´ve got to say those are not the minority.(Unfortunately)