PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PA28 vs C152
Thread: PA28 vs C152
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2002, 20:04
PA28-161

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These days I fly mostly 140s, but like many a PPL the training I took was all 152 based (and cheaper rate) until it came to Nav time, when the clubs only nav-equipped plane was the dear old Echo Juliet, a 161. At first alarmed by the number of instruments and worried by the extra power (and noise) the thing put out, it soon became the plane of choice when funds permitted - I'm not the smallest of blokes so it's nice to have some elbow room, and room for a map on your knee in the Piper. It is most benevolent in the stall, and not certified for spins, like the 152 (was shown a series of spins by an instructor - fan-tastic) and does indeed float like a ****** depending on wind conditions and speed control. But it's nice and stable for cross country nav, when you need to spend time on your course corrections etc and not as much on control input.

I fly a 140 now, it can take 3 with easy fuel load, and the passenger in the back thinks it's easier on them in the steep turns than the 161 (it's a passenger thing, but they all swear its true). Plus it's easier on the pocket. The lack of toe brakes doesn't put me off, and I'm just sad that the one I fly now doesnt have the roof-mounted trimmer - G-ATRR had it, reminded me of flying an Aztec.