PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rude Cabin Crew
Thread: Rude Cabin Crew
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2002, 17:56
FlapsOne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cello

An excellent post.

I agree that many operators even using the same type of aircraft have differing regulations. It has always been so and, I suspect, will always remain. Life would be a whole lot easier all round if we shared exactly the same rules and regulations.

As long as the FAA/JAA permit operators to further restrict their regulations there is little prospect for change. Overall it's probably a good thing but can give rise to 'grey areas' as far as the travelling public is concerned.

In essence the 'Authorites' legislate on those matters it considers to be essential for safety whilst the operators further legislate on what they consider 'appropriate' to their company style.

Different safety briefings for the same type of aircraft can be confusing but, legally, as long as each contains the minimum required safety information then that's OK as far as JAA/FAA is concerned.

Cabin Crew are in the front line here. If one airline allows them to carry an item of clothing on their lap during take off or landing but another doesn't, it's the poor CC who has to explain most of the argument that has been running on this thread!

Obviously that's impractical - so a polite statement to the effect that it is a company policy/regulation should suffice.

You are so right to say that CC do a great job, often in very difficult circumstances. Occaisionally they let themselves down by, perhaps, being a little less than polite - but don't we all? I have been in this business for 24 years and have only on very few occaisions witnessed anything like what was being described earlier in this thread as almost commonplace. That statement goes for both the high cost and low cost ends of the market as I consder myself fortunate enough to have significant experience of both.

Well said!