PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plymouth Airport closure and Devonport Dockyard future
Old 21st Dec 2011, 10:40
Widger

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Alfred,

Chutney I speak not. The whole reason the SOOTAX was implemented (in the Portland days) was to save money on staff and fuel. A Boat Transfer requires the ship to enter the sound. On some occasions this will be okay as it fits with the programme. SOOTAX will however, allow the ship to remain in the allocated exercise area and also minimise staff transit time, allowing staff to either hop between ships or get back to the HQ to write up their reports. There have been several studies looking at the cost benefit of SOOTAX, with clear calculations on the number of extra staff vs cost of the contact. (Pop into SOO's Office and ask SG for a copy if you doubt me). It is only because the figures dictated it was cheaper by air, that the SOOTAX remains. Whilst Boat Transfer might be okay on a quiet week, when there is a busy programme (not just capital ships), SOOTAX is the only way, versus Ship's fuel, tugs, SERCO Boat contract, available staff, working day etc.

Boat transfer also takes 1/2 an hour from the steps to the sound, plus tansit of the ship outside the breakwater. Fine if it is a NAVEX or Mine transit but not if you are doing a MISSILEX or GUNEX in the Portland areas. The programmers juggle with these problems every week as you probably know.

SOOTAX was 5 minutes to Weston Mill or 10-15 to the Airport dependent on traffic, followed by a maximum of usually 15-20 minute transit, without interrupting ship's training.

Embedding staff for a week will not be a very good use of seariders time, particularly if they have 2 or 3 ships to train. (unless of course you use more staff, which is unaffordable).

Whilst from your perspective it may feel that there is not a significant amount of Air movement being undertaken, there is in the order about 3000+ pax movements per year undertaken by BIH. Every single one of those pax will now have a factor of fuel/distance/time added with the loss of the Airport facilities and this will swing the cost benefit calculations to the point where it may be unaffordable for either the RN or the contractor.

Now, as I have eleborated my reasoning, would you care to provide some further fact rather than just crticising my posts as 'Chutney'?

All the best and Merry Christmas