PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane crash at Zwartkops
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2011, 07:11
Obes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The question was posed as to wether this is taught (to aim for a road in an forced landing situation).
Unfortunately the discussion is so open amoung instructors in SA, with varying views and angles on the topic. In my experience, its not standardized that 'in a forced landing one should NOT/Should aim for a pubilc road.' So, it comes down to what each persons instructor teaches.
While the law says that pubic roads may not be used unless its an emergency, that leaves the debate open.
Im my opinion (having not yet been in a real engine out situation), one should have as a general rule to NOT aim for public roads. Simply from the point of view of placing the innocent road users in danger. However, thats not to say if you are flying in a very quiet area, with a nice straight piece of road, and no cars visable, that the pilot should not consider it.
I just think this point should be drilled into pilots, that they should be all means avoid putting others in danger in an engine failure/forced landing situation. I think instructors should make this clearer.
Sure, its tempting in that situation, but maybe the implications should be drilled into pilots when practicing forced landings?