PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL reality check
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2011, 07:10
Trendkill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi SloppyJoe.

Thanks for your advice, much appreciated. Yes I fly as a hobby right now, but got so hooked doing so I wanted to explore the posibilities to go even further.

That is what I was planning, to continue working fulltime and do either distance studying or part time like you say, even though it will take several years to do it. But as you say, I wonīt quit my job and take a loan to fund it (try not to at least).

I donīt dream of flying airliners, so thereīs no rush there at all. But if I do manage to get the ATPL and all required hours 200-ish, then what? Do you, or anybody else who have done the same thing, know what itīs like out there? Will I simply be a stranded pilot with bare minimum hours trying to get a job, but constantly will be over run by 1000+ hour pilots?

As said, I donīt dream of flying airliners, but is it even realistic at all to find a job just flying (air taxi etc) in propeller planes, anywhere in the world really? Or is the market so overflooded with pilots already who have a lot, or a little less, experience who always will be ahead of you in the line?

As in my first post, I donīt want to sound cynical at all, but it would be really nice to get feedback from pilots who have been in that situation, did it work out great for you and youīre happy? Or was it a living hell trying to find any kind of job?

Basically if people want to share their different views, experienced pilot or not, old as young, it would be great to hear your "story".