PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C172 flap question
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2011, 06:57
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Pistons Forever
The advice "You can't slip with flaps in the C 172" is another flight school urban legend that should be stomped out. There are no restrictions on slipping in the "limitations" section in any of the POH's I have seen (C 172 L,M,N,or P). The note to avoid slips is contained in the "Normal Operations" section.

Frankly the C 172 has plenty of flaps. If full flap won't get you on the desired final profile then I would suggest your approach is so bent out of shape, you should go around.

But if you are high on a forced approach you want to use everything at your disposal including slips. I am dismayed at the number of students who were told they could never slip the aircraft with the flaps deployed even in the forced approach scenario.
Oh it gets worse than that BPA - I was told the same my my instructors on my CPL course, which I flew initially in a PA38 then in a Piper Arrow.

I did what I was told to keep them happy, but so far as I've ever been able to establish there is absolutely no good reason not to sideslip a high approach, and in particular a PFL, in any Piper single. I can only assume that this scuttlebut had found it's way from somebody somewhere who did their instructors course on a C172 and was given duff information there, which they took as gospel for all flying.

More people need to read the (**(&&*&* POH and use it properly.

G