PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Diff and Familiarization training shouldn't be Comm all over again?
Old 21st Dec 2011, 06:53
Obes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diff and Familiarization training shouldn't be Comm all over again?

Hi All.

I recently did some diff and famil ratings for new company pilots onto the company a/c. Now, its a SEP a/c, and the idea was simply to get the new pilots signed out on the a/c. In SA this is a legal/licensing issue, whereas i understand is some contries only a 'group' rating is needed (i.e if you have SEP a/c on you license, you can go fly any of them). Not so in SA. Anyway, besides the point. The point is this:
i found that doing this flight, i was so focused on teaching the pilots about the new a/c, that i simply assumed their general flying/airmanship ability was up to standard. I flew with them until i was happy they had a good grasp of the a/c, and that i could happily sign them out to fly that a/c type. A few weeks later, our other comapny instructor took them up for more of a general flight test. He found they were pretty schocking in terms of general airmanship. My question is this: when doing a type rating for a commercial pilot, is it my responsibility to ensure that the pilot is up to par to be a commercial pilot (i.e, radio work, airmanship, etc), or is it simply for that flight to get them signed out on the a/c?
In hindsight i may have approached the training differently, but i hope you can see where this is coming from? Just wondering what the general feel is on this? Thanks.