PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Autorotation and Ground-Effect
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2002, 15:35
[email protected]

Received 669 Likes on 295 Posts
PPF#1, which drag vector are you talking about - the parasite drag from the airframe and rotor system or the induced drag produced by the wing/blade as it displaces the air? If you are going to belittle other peoples aerodynamic knowledge you really need to be more precise with your own.
If your rotor thrust (the vertical component of the Total Reaction) is greater than the aircraft weight then the RoD will reduce if you are descending or a climb will commence if you are not.
A reduction in induced flow not only gives a higher AoA (therefore more Cl and Cd) but also moves the TR vector towards the axis of rotation of the rotor giving an increase in rotor thrust and a decrease in rotor drag.

ShyTq whilst I have to admit is is possible to do a cyclic only EOL in favourable conditions in a helicopter with low disc loading - modern helicopters (and I discount the Whirlwind here) have much higher disc loadings and far less benign autorotative characteristics. No doubt Nick will have flown a test aircraft which has a high disc loading and does collective- free EOLS but he is expert at shooting holes in my arguments.