PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So What If You Just Want To Have Fun ??
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2011, 14:39
Aphrican

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks to all

It does sound like aerobatics might be the way to go for some fun. That said, I like numbers and complexity so I am still trying to find a way to have some fun with bigger aircraft without spending an absolute fortune

@Dan the weegle

I hear you on the age front. Luckily this is just for fun so learning a bit less quickly is not really a hinderance and a recognition of the impact of age reduces frustration. Luckily I am very numerate so the "knowledge" part is not a problem for me

@Zulu Alpha

I am close enough to John Wayne that I can rent a 172 locally and fly over for the day.

@Backpacker

I have just finished my FAA PPL. Some hour building and MEL and IR are coming next probably followed by a CPL as a sign of competence rather than as a way to earn income as I don't have the ability to work in the US. I do not have the temperament to be a CFI even if I get to the point where I have enough skill / hours / experience.

I need a long term goal and thought that some sort of "volunteer" SIC role with owner pilots of aircraft like a Citation Mustang / BE 90 etc when they need one would be something to aim for over the next few years. From the sounds of it, this is just a very expensive way to get a very few fun but unloggable hours. I do know that I would need an IR and a MEL certificate before I could even start on a SIC type rating so I am at least a couple of years away.

It does sound like I need a new plan.