PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fin & Rudder strength: facts about what is NOT tested
Old 18th Nov 2002, 13:55
Lu Zuckerman

Iconoclast

Location: The home of Dudley Dooright-Where the lead dog is the only one that gets a change of scenery.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question There is a difference

Quote:

"AIC: 86/2002 (Pink 38) 17 October 2002
Title: USE OF RUDDER ON LARGE TRANSPORT AEROPLANES

Paragraph 1.2 contains the most important sentence of this AIC:

“ However, aircraft are NOT designed to withstand application of large rudder angles opposite to that required to sustain the sideslip. This may occur when, for example, full rudder is applied in one direction followed by full application in the opposite direction. Such a manoeuvre MAY RESULT IN STRUCTURAL FAILURE. “

This AIC contains much good revision about rudder use".

First of all I don’t have access to the AIC in question. That being said, I believe we are talking about apples and oranges. It would appear to me that your excerpt from the AIC deals with the crash of the A-300 due to loss of the rudder. And, it advises pilots that if they perform certain maneuvers using the rudder to excess they can exceed the design limits of the fin attachment or the fin structure.

What I was addressing was the structural testing that must be performed to determine that there is adequate safety margin in the operation of the aircraft under standard flight conditions and that if the aircraft is flown within those limits there would be no structural failure.

Based on that it can be assumed that on the AA A-300 either the structural safety margins were exceeded or there was a structural defect in the fin.