PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rude Cabin Crew
Thread: Rude Cabin Crew
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2002, 13:54
Cello

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fascinating

I've been following this thread for a while and am still not quite sure what to make of it - the original point seems to have been swamped with other aspects. However...

I have two views in general - one as a pax and another as someone who works closely with CAA, DTI, Operators and a/c manufacturers.

As a pax - yes, I am disappointed when service levels seem to be left on the ground. However, we all have bad days, don't we? Or are FAs exempt? However, I believe that if it were required, the FAs would be making sure we were alright, as much as might be possible.

But, from the point of view of a pax who might fly once a month or so with different operators, they will find that the 'regulations' appear to be different, and don't think it unreasonable to ask 'why?'. These could lead to general narky exchanges, unlikely to end happily ever after.

But being a regular jump-seat occupant, and even more regular pax - I am amazed at the general 'shut-up and belt-up' approach from some FAs. I do wish that FAs would recognise that the possibility exists that one or more of their pax have flown more than once.

Pax do NOT know that CAA, DTI, the operator, the leasing company, the manufacturer, JAA, JAR (and there are probably more) all contribute to the 'Regulations' and not all of them are cast in stone.

Take EZ and FR - both 73 operators - safety briefing is different why - 'regulations?' - whose? In this case it's operator. Is that the case with cardigans in row 3?, maybe - maybe not.

But many are cast in stone and that's for a reason - ie the a/c doesn't burst into a ball of flames on take-off, it doesn't fly like a brick and finally, descends gracefully to a safe landing. Then there's the usual rammy of people desperate to get on with their lives, trying to get off before the thing has stopped.

What am I trying to say? Hmm.

Consideration. From both sides. Irritable (or 'I know about planes' attitude) pax are going to p!ss FAs off. I find it best not to do this.

FAs - you do a great job, but sometimes you've got people on board that have flown with every major operator in Europe, on all the major manufacturers, and we've picked up a thing or two along the way about flying. If someone like me or 126.9 with a little knowledge (always a dangerous thing) oversteps the mark - just tell them which regulation it is - that way they might learn something and you retain a calm and cheery cabin, and less stressed yourself!

If I've offended anyone with this post - I apologise in advance - that is not the aim!

I will say in conclusion (yes I've finally got there ) that I have observed FAs being treated absolutely abominably by either 'I'm superior' executive b!tches or by arrogant, sexist pigs. No matter what anyone does for a living, no-one should have to tolerate this.

FAs - I couldn't do your job - but I'm grateful that you can.

Cello