PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2011, 04:12
Machinbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Machinbird
If you will forgive me the use of my favourite metaphor; that is a particularly juicy red herring. Just because most of the flying may be done in Normal Law doesn't mean that no flying is done in ALT2. It possibly is more than 10 hours but I don't know. However, be that as it may, a properly trained and conversant crew should have no trouble using the aircraft in ALT2 law. Those who have tried to fly it in such a state and who have posted say that it flies well. It was designed by Airbus to fly well - you can be sure of that. It would never have been certified if it was an absolute pig to fly without protections. Once again it's a training issue which should have been addressed in the simulator. If it wasn't then again it's a training issue. Pause, diagnose (using your instruments) then fly. But then I am afraid that this crew would have flown anything into the ground.
OC, I might share your faith in the reliability of the certification process except I have seen examples of the subtle ways things can sneak through, only to be found later, usually under adverse circumstances.
There is a reason that the referenced paper has this quote
“The design process of the airplane has matured, flight control systems have evolved, criteria and analysis techniques are available, yet PIO persists.”
PIO can be hard to reliably predict and prevent considering the various different control strategies employed by the pilots flying a particular type of aircraft. (But at least the autopilot should follow its programming in a reliable and predictable manner.)

Training can help pilots avoid unsafe control strategies, and can teach them what to do if they recognize a PIO condition. Has anyone received such training?

PIO recovery:

For example, in B type aircraft, the PNF can assist in breaking a PIO by helping hold the control wheel steady, but in newer A type aircraft, this is not possible.

In either type aircraft, PF can back out of the oscillation by loosening his grip on the controls, reducing the amplitude of his control inputs, and even releasing the controls completely until a PIO dampens out.

On either type of aircraft, exchanging roles between PF and PNF may change control strategy sufficiently to break a PIO. (This would have likely have been the best way to help in the AF447 situation).

Meanwhile I think we can collectively make some good use of your pet herring. I'll bet he's tasty.