PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Importing N-Registered aircraft into Canada
Old 20th Dec 2011, 02:38
Topskier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Importing N-Registered aircraft into Canada

Hi all,

tried searching for any information regarding importing aircraft on the N-Register in the States to Canada but only found one reference to someone importing a Beech Baron for a commercial operation. There weren't many replies!

My situation is a bit different. Hoping to take my PPL flight test in January/February and then on to hour building for my Commercial licence.

One or two of my contemporaries are thinking of joining me in purchasing an aeroplane to save money on hour building rather than renting. We reckon we can make it work assuming we fly enough hours to make it pay for itself. We've been looking at some Cessna 172's and were wondering how much it might cost to import a plane from the USA.

I understand we'll have to pay HST, import tax/duty and have the plane examined and certified (?) by a Transport Canada mechanic. Does anyone know how long this might take and (on average) how much it might cost?

I guess we'd have to assume the plane was in decent condition - so not to cost too much in terms of remedial mechanical work... Just to get an idea of cost of the other stuff I just mentioned.

Any useful information very gratefully received!

Many thanks,

MGE