PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Three Top Tips for Tailwheels!
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2011, 02:29
generalspecific

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
am lucky enough to have a share in a Cap 10. Chenged from the usual 172/182. I actually much prefer it and land better in it. The stick is much more natural for cross wind approaches and you can just hold a wing down with a bit of top rudder and just drive it all the way in.

On landing I find the keys are;

Speed - Bang on not plus or minus (you can be fast but then you will need to hold off in the float and not rush it. If you get slow though it drops on and you bounce)

Hold off - Nice and gentle and keep trying not to land for a 3 pointer. The stick will just keep coming back and all three kiss at once. For wheelers i also find the tip of "half a three pointer" and a touch (and i do mean a touch) of forward stick to pin it

Keep straight - Look out front (it helps i'm tall and the nose on a cap is short) and accept NO deviation from the centre line. If you refuse to let it start then it wont get away from you and after time the corrections get smaller but the frequesncy greater. Early on, don't be afraid to open it up and get back in the air... much better than a ground loop.

Stay alert - your counrty needs lerts - If it aint chocked it can bite. A big catch out is A/C's manouvering with power to pass you (runway backtracking) or take off when you are in an undershoot hold, which can easily lift the tai. Sometimes to need to radio them to wait for you to spin round behind them "into their wind" as it were...

Its really no harder, just different.