PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 20th Dec 2011, 02:11
Machinbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OC
Those who have commented on flying the Airbus family particularly the A330 comment that it is a very stable aircraft in all aspects of its flight envelope.
OC,
Consider what percentage of the A330 flight time that has been accomplished has been in Normal Law, Now consider what percentage of that has been flown on Autopilot.

Then consider what percentage has been in Alt 1 Law and in Alt 1 Law with Autopilot.

Finally, consider what percentage has been in Alt 2 Law (Autopilot cannot engage)

Assuming manual control, does the aircraft feel the same way in Alt 1 Law as it does in Normal Law? I believe the answer is yes, just the protections operate differently.

Assuming manual control, does it feel the same way in Alt 2 Law as it does in Alt 1 Law? No. Roll response is different.

Other than the test flight program. I would be surprised if the aircraft has accumulated 10 hours of flight time in Alt 2 Law during its entire line flying lifetime.
But those that may know better should feel to correct any misperception on my part.

If I am correct, the bulk of A330 flight experience would not be relevant to AF447's loss of control in Alt 2 Law.