PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2011, 22:14
P2 WDL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TWO WEEKS IN "PARADISE"

Went back to PNG October/November this year, for the first time in five years, with the intention of grabbing my old Comanche (which now lives in Mt.Hagen) and flying to Rabaul to see the post volcano eruption damage and then to Bensbach to catch the odd Barramundi or two. But you know what they say about "the best laid plans of mice and men etc."
Anyhow arrived in Moresby on a Friday, ex Brisbane, via Airniugini. Spent the night in POM. PNG, and in particular Moresby, is at the start of a construction boom as a consequence of the impending Liquefied Natural Gas Project and rents and accommodation costs have gone through the roof. A room at the Airways will cost you K990 (about $450). However, found a motel at Gordons, the Flying Fox Inn, for about $150 a night. To bad there was no hot water and the aircon was on the blink. But there was a first class Asian restaurant attached to the motel.
On the way to the Aero Club noticed a couple of Islanders up on chocks with their undercarriages removed. It would appear that the Islander has had it's day in PNG, both as a result of the unreliability of Avas supplies (more later) and the competition from the PAC750, which burns Avtur,carries more and is cheaper to operate.
The old Aero Club has gone up market. The old bar area is now office space and the area out the back. where the pamuks used to ply their trade, is the present bar, complete with wine rack. A few of the old faces are still around but I did't see a pamuk.
Security is a PNG growth industry with armed guards everywhere, including the Aero Club.

Next day was due to go to Mt.Hagen at 9.15AM but Airniugini had downsized the aircraft. My mate was last on the 9.15 flight but I dipped out. Eventually got away at 3.20PM and arrived at Hagen an hour later in reasonable weather. Whilst in the POM departure lounge Airniugini announced the cancellation of three domestic flights, about a half an hour before their scheduled departure time. Passengers were advised to come back at 5.00AM next day and try their luck. Of course Airniugini put everyone up at the Airways. Ha Ha.
Next day (Sunday) did some circuit work in the Comanche, which I hadn't flown for five years. Less said about that performance the better. Due for a PNG Biennial Flight Review with MAF tomorrow.
Mission Aviation Fellowship runs the only flying school in PNG at present. The last Australian Biennial I did, out of Archerfield, involved flying to Moreton Island and flying up and down the coastline for an hour looking for whales.This Biennial, with the MAF CFI, was a bit more thorough. It involved a navex Hagen-Mendi-Hagen, stalls, power on/off, steep turns, power on/off, gliding steep turns, forced landing, engine failure on take off, glide approach and landing at Hagen as well as questions about the aircraft performance specifications and systems. Luckily I had previously owned the aircraft and was familiar with all this. Anyhow I was duly certified to commit aviation for another two years.

Off to Rabaul in a couple of days.

TO BE CONTINUED

Last edited by P2 WDL; 20th Dec 2011 at 07:21.