PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training and Knowledge
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2011, 14:47
TonyDavis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reading through the posts on this subject, I find it interesting that most of the comments agree that there is a problem, but nobody seems to know what to do about it or do not really care. I find it interesting that out of the hundreds of trainee pilots that read these forums, not one has asked how he/she can improve his/herself.

I have an idea to set up a virtual flight, detailing all of the areas where knowledge is required, this will show trainees the areas where they are weak and can concentrate on putting it right. The materials for learning are out there, it only has to be pointed out where to look and what is important and what is bulls**t.

Questions such as :
Q2495 "For inbound procedures, how many copies of the required forms are to be delivered to the public authority in a state?"
A- 3 GEN dec; 3 cargo manifest; 2 simple stores list
B- 2 GEN dec; 3 cargo manifest; 2 simple stores list
C- 3 GEN dec; 3 cargo manifest; 3 simple stores list
D- 3 GEN dec; 2 cargo manifest; 2 simple stores list

Q2478 "The phases related to an aircraft in emergency or believed
in emergency are:"
A- uncertainty phase, alert phase, distress phase.
B- uncertainty phase, urgency phase,distress phase.
C- uncertainty phase, distress phase, urgency phase.
D- uncertainty phase, alert phase, distress phase and urgency phase.

Have no relevance whatsoever in the real world and quite honestly who cares

The problem lies in that the student is not equipped to sort out the wheat from the chafe, nor it appears are many instructors.

It was said to me many years ago by a CAA examiner that the reason these type of questions are used is a filter system to stop everyman and his dog getting a pilot's licence. I do not disagree with that approach, the problem now is that with multi-choice and some cash, everyman and his dog can pass this filter.

With regard to the 2 questions above, I would probably fail them. Did that make me a poor pilot ? Maybe I was.