PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 13 killed in Philippines plane crash
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2011, 13:54
stuckgear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*sigh!*

There but for the grace of god go I.

In a position of being too low, too slow; The fabled light twin adage of one engine fails, the other takes you to scene of the crash is indeed apt in many cases.

R.D. Campbell, in his book, Multi Engine Rating covers the effects of asymmetric flight well. Not only should be a coveted text for initial, but also a continued review and re-reading from time to time.

When an engine fails at low airspeed, the effectiveness of the rudder in counteracting yaw is reduced, but directional control can be assisted by banking the aircraft towards the operating engine. It should nevertheless be appreciated that care must be used in relation to the amount of bank applied.
This is because when bank is used the amount of lift directly opposing weight will be reduced and therefore either the angle of attack, or the airspeed, or both, will need to be increased to replace the lost lift. These measures will also create more drag and a further increase in thrust will be demanded. Extra thrust may not be available and in any case increased thrust will worsen the degree of asymmetry.
Further to this, when bank is used the balance indicator will show a condition of sideslip and the pilot will not therefore be able to estimate the degree of balance being achieved , and little or no warning of an approaching critical condition may exist.
Ref: RD Campbell, Multi Engine Rating

I can only offer my condolences to those on the ground and their families and to wish an eternity of blue skies to those in the aircraft.