PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bonfire of the Generals
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2011, 11:12
teeteringhead

Gentleman Aviator

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts
But Widger, for historical reasons the officer rank pyramids have been vastly different shapes.

The Army had (relatively) fewer command posts at full Colonel, while the RAF and the RN had lots. Similarly, Army had (relatively) lots of 1* posts compared to the other two services.

Recall that until recently in t'Army it was possibly to be promoted directly from Lt Col to Brigadier, and in the RN from 4 Ring Captain straight to Rear Adm.

And there remains a shadow of the historical differences in the pay scales. The big jumps (in RAF speak) are from sqn ldr to wg cdr and from gp capt to air cdre - precisely because the Army pattern is followed and their big (=good) command tours are at Lt Col and Brig level - many a newly promoted gp capt has had his joy lessened by the meagre pay rise - even worse when coupled with a loss/decrease in Flying Pay .......

Remember once briefing a new Stn Cdr on my major 2dry Duty on his Stn. He was sat there in the big office, feet on desk, biting his fingernails (narrows it down for those who know!) He was reading his first pay chit as a groupie.

Staish: Bl%%dy hell Teeters, why do you get more fing Flying pay than I do?
Teeters: Well Sir, it's probably because I do a lot more fing flying than you do!

(collapse of OC A and SWO [both female] who were in attendance!)