PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Puma Crash Sentence
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2011, 22:17
ralphmalph

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PN,

"I can think of at least 4 instance, three where I was on the crew, where the Auth, also on board, had either condoned or instigated flying indiscipline or done nothing to counter it. The Auths were 3 sqn ldrs (one was the captain) and one was the sqn cdr but not acting as captain. In only one of the cases did we stop the captain (auth) from his course of action."

Were this to happen today, there would be a very swift and unpleasant end for those involved. The regular and deliberate collection of data by DASOR now means that the ability for individuals to "stretch the auth" and get away with it is very severely diminished (and quite right too) People are very aware of the fact that they will be culpable (RTS limitations, FOB rules and the Catterick crash spell that out clearly)

When there are junior aircrew; conducting complex tasks at the limit of their ability, the only room for the HQ is to regulate, to ameliorate any lack of experience.....thats what we see today.

You will find very controlled risk being taken in JHC, but no stomach for cowboys or a "**** me that was close, I learnt from that" attitude. In the case of the latter, if any blame can be laid as to why the near miss happened....then stand by if it is right "of the red line"!