PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2011, 21:38
chrisN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is no stopping people being stupid, except by selection and training to the extent possible.

The referenced report is a confession by a car driver that he almost got killed on a level crossing when his car was “acting up” – periodically slowing or stopping when supposed to be driving at a normal speed. So what did he do, when it was doing this and he approached a level crossing? “ . . .I decided to plough on forward and try to make it the last 20 blocks to the dealership”. Car drivers are not specially selected, and their (OK, our – including my) training did not and does not include much on fault analysis, nor on decision making.

In aviation, there is selection, and training. But others, professionals, are pointing out that modern training is not covering enough of the old essentials that used to be acquired.

Years ago, I was giving evidence to a UK House of Commons Select Committee about some aviation issues, and I pointed out that, too often, airlines only adopted safety measures if forced to by legislation, or if somebody else paid for it. I quoted as examples rear facing seats and the fatal accident at Manchester (?) where passengers survived the initial crash only to be killed by smoke inhalation – the airlines would not adopt measures to provide safe exit in the event of fire.

Have they now? You know the answer. Do you care? Have you tried to influence any such decisions?

Now, re AF447, many professionals are complaining about economising on training, late replacement of Thales pitots, and some mention not going for optional extra instruments or systems (AI, BUSS IIRC), etc..

I hope those who see deficiencies are raising these issues in their companies, and rousing BALPA etc., and writing to their governments. I should not have been alone, and from GA rather than professional aviation, in my representations to that select committee.

IMHO.

Last edited by chrisN; 18th Dec 2011 at 23:17.