PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing Cdr Jock Dalgleish ...
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2011, 18:34
skydriver007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yankee in Scotland

I was an American graduate student at the University of Edinburgh in 1967/8 and decided to pursue my interest in flying at the EFC during the time W/C Dalgleish was the CFI. He was quite a character and he taught me a "Hell-of-a-lot" about flying that I would have never learned back in the States. His idea of teaching Instrument Flying was to "pop into" a fog-bank over the Firth of Forth and drive around inside since the Club did not have a simulator at the time. I don't think it ever occurred to him just to put a "Hood" on me! Not quite legal, but very instructive!! Once he asked me if I would like to learn some aerobatics. I thought he was talking about a Chinese Circus, but said "yes" anyway and proceeded to get some of the best flight training I've ever had (in stock Cessna's no less!!). Talk about the Syrian Migs...that was nothing! We almost did ouirselves in one day when he was trying to show me how to do a "Hammerhead Turn" in the Club's Cessna 150 over Fife (G-AVEL, I think it was). We were on the way straight back down after kicking the rudder over, both of us sitting there with our arms crossed thinking the other was flying the plane! The airspeed indicator shot through the "never-exceed speed" and Jock at that point realized that it was up to him to get us out of the mess. He did, but he didn't say a word on the rest of the flight back to the airport. I now know how to properly execute the maneuver! Jock was a great guy and I enjoyed my time flying at the EFC more than any other. I got my British PPL then went on to get a US Commercial Pilot's license with Instrument and Multi-engine ratings, although I've never flown for a living. I also continued my aerobatic training back in the States and owe a lot to Jock for having made me a better pilot. Over the years I always wondered what happened to Jock; and, now that I know, he will be missed.