PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 final crew conversation - Thread No. 1
Old 18th Dec 2011, 18:29
Plectron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have commented at length on PPRuNe about the sorry state of affairs with the 300 hour total time copilot making Captain in 10 years or less after flying 1 or 2 long-haul legs a month on the autopilot. Companies choosing cadets on every hiring profile point except aviation aptitude, problem solving, and experience.

Captains who have had maybe 100 hours hand flying in their lives.

Captains whose idea of a single engine divert is flying 500 miles past several perfectly good alternates and then over 500 miles of open sea.

Captains whose chance of successfully diverting to KEF or any of the Siberian winter alternates during icy windy weather is nil.

Companies who promote incredibly inexperienced 2 year Captains to be Instructor and Examiner Pilots.

Sure, there are some good and even great pilots flying for these long-haul highly rated companies but the up and coming group is sadly lacking in everything except a well developed sense of entitlement.

I am out and glad of it. Had a great and well paid career. But, what I saw in the last few years of flying really turned my stomach. For some reason, the insurance companies don't care and the public, as usual, is clueless.

Go on guys - turn on the flame throwers.