PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Recommended reading
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2011, 14:18
Dunky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommended reading

Hi all, my first post here, and as per the title I'm after your recommendations on books to read.

The reason why is, I was due to go on exercise in the south of France last month, but it got cancelled three days before I was to join the unit due to the weather forecast. I ended up going on the exercise below, which may give a clue as to my trade

I had previously read mainly books on the B17 in WWII and Chuck Yeager's autobiography and several books of Stephen E. Ambrose, Reach for the Sky and The Great Escape by Paul Brickhill, The Seven Pillars of Wisdom and The Mint, by TE Lawrence. Recently read Dunkirk, Retreat to Victory by Maj. Gen. Julian Thompson, and Sapper Martin, The Secret Great War Diary of Jack Martin.

Anyway, with the type of aircraft going on exercise it got me to thinking I was missing something with regard to a particular type of aircraft, then a period in history.

So I have just finished reading To The Limit, An Air Cav Huey Pilot in Vietnam by Tom A. Johnson, an excellent read. I've just started Chickenhawk by Robert Mason, very similar but set a couple of years earlier.

Other books I have just bought but still to read are:
Snake Pilot by Randy R. Zahn
When Thunder Rolled and Palace Cobra by Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot by Robin Olds with Christina Olds and Ed Rasimus

Other books I've added to the list but not bought yet are:
Scream of Eagles by Robert K. Wilcox
Ace Factor: Air Combat and the Role of Situational Awareness
Fighter Combat: Tactics and Manoeuvring
(Not sure about the above two, worth reading or not?)
Apache and Hellfire by Ed Macy
Winged Warfare: The Experiences of a Canadian 'Ace' of the RFC During the First World War by William A. Bishop.
Apache Dawn by Damien Lewis
Chickenhawk: Back in the World Again by Robert Mason

So can anyone recommend anything else, in particular is there anything from a B52 'buff' perspective, but interested in most things. Comments also welcome on my bought list and those still to buy.

PS: I'm off to AKT in early January, what's the FFR rate like, or is it worth getting some Euro's just now while the pound is stronger?