PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should I stay or should I go ?
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2011, 11:12
Bealzebub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On a slight sidetrack, I never quite understand the excitement that the term "ICAO Licence" seems to generate in people?

There is no such thing as an ICAO licence, since that organisation doesn't issue licences. As for the national signatory position, virtually every country on Earth is a signatory to the ICAO. Of the handful that aren't, I am not aware of one that issues pilots licences, and certainly not of any significance.

One countries licence is not necessarily interchangeable with another, nor is it necessarily endorsable other than as laid down by the applicable national or supranational authority of the authority to whom such an application is made.

It is astonishing how many people on these forums substitute the term "ICAO licence" for the country of issue of the licence that they actually hold or are referring to. I assume because the one they need isn't the one they actually hold. I wonder if anyone on this site actually holds a non-ICAO licence? That would be a thing to behold.