PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training and Knowledge
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2011, 08:33
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with Tony, but a large part of the problem is that in the 'old days' such inexperience would fly with a grumpy old 'experienced' Captain and pick up the necessary. Today's 'grumpy young Captain' was him/herself a 250 hour tyro not that long ago and so the spiral starts. Miser has it right "The problem with these fast trackers is that they have never been alone and scared in an aeroplane!" and the mil/single-pilot air taxi route (where you can be) is now less common.

It all depends on 'acceptable risk', and I, like Tony, do not find it 'acceptable' to be in the back with such inexperience 'up front', while the accountants, managers and, of course, those paying the airfares, do. With the spread of the 'wonder-jet' that does it all for you anyway, it appears to be an acceptable risk to this group, whereas the 'dying breed' like TD, me and others just don't want to die that way.

Of course by using AF447 as an example, TD opens a far bigger can of worms - no-one on the flight deck there had '250 hours'..............