PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Three Top Tips for Tailwheels!
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2011, 16:58
The Heff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilot DAR, I think you might have explained some of my more scarier landings!

Something that I've been trying to do recently is two-point 'wheeler' landings; but I think that I might probably be flying the approach too high and too fast, because I tend to bounce before landing. Bouncing isn't actually as dangerous as it sounds, provided the pilot initiates an immediate go-around instead of trying to force the aeroplane onto the deck.

I would also agree with the point regarding some competent training. There are plenty of flying schools still offering tailwheel courses so there really is no excuse for failing to complete a basic introduction to conventional landing technique. One can hardly baulk at the cost of instruction either, because its still cheaper than the cost of repairing a pranged aircraft. Sadly, I know!

Sometimes you've got to be a bit brave when taking-off, otherwise you'll never expand your own personal 'flying envelope'. I know the limits of the aeroplane, but its my own limits that I'm unsure of! It can be quite unsettling after passing my PPL skills test, and thinking that I'm a good pilot; then landing something more adventurous and learning the complete opposite! Once I've mastered this aircraft, I'm confident that I'll be ready for absolutely anything.