PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Need help,
Thread: Need help,
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2011, 14:27
Pilot DAR

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts
Rapidshot,

In order that you are sure that you're being asked to comply which an actual requirement, were I to be in your situation, I would ask the CAA person to quote the requirement which states that a Citabria requires an MEL!

Generally, an MEL would be an "approved" document (so the CAA should have a copy, as they would have been the ones to have approved it). It would be based upon an MMEL (Master Minimum Equipment List), which approved as a part of the type design for the aircraft. The Citabria does not have one (if it did, it would be listed on the Type Certificate). So, really, without an MMEL as a reference, it's really difficult to create and MEL to present for approval.

The closest the Citabria comes (though still not the same thing) would be the "Required Equipment" lists, which begin on page 17 of TCDS A-759. These, however, are configuration control lists, which describe how the aircraft is to be equipped, it is not a list which allows a change in configuration, or the operation of the aircraft with any of the described equipment unserviceable. Or, spoken differently, you cannot use the "required equipment" list to allow the operation of the aircraft with something on that list not operating - or it really would not be "required"!

I can't imagine why anyone would propose an MEL for an aircraft as simple as a Citabria, as, with the exception of certain lights not being required for day flying, there's nothing else on the aircraft which is not required for safe flight, (no redundant systems).

I suggest that before you get much effort into this, you get a very clear explanation of what is required and why from the CAA...

Then please tell us, 'cause this has gotta be amusing.....