PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 final crew conversation - Thread No. 1
Old 17th Dec 2011, 12:45
captplaystation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It strikes me from reading the CVR transcript that all 3 of them were in "Forrest Gump" mode, flying an A330 in a degraded mode was like a box of chocolates, & no-one really knew what they were getting.
At no point in the so far published inter flight-deck communications do I recall reading someone explicitly stating loss of valid airspeed info / Stall/rate of climb/ the magnitude of the altitude bust/the rate of descent/ the recovery action being taken. . . . . . horrible/unbelievable to say, they sounded completely confounded/dumbfounded & were apparently completely unable to assimilate what was happening/what was needed.
I don't doubt the contribution of the "wonder-plane" to this situation, but these guys were just totally overwhelmed by their situation & this is something Air France /Airbus / & those responsible for setting the syllabus for initial & reccurrent training will have to address with some vigour.
It is not acceptable/valid to suggest that these were 3 guys who showed a below average performance, the logical, & very disturbing conclusion, is that the "average" performance they demonstrated would appear to be the new norm, & THAT is the bullet the industry must bite if there is to be any good legacy achieved by those wasted lives.