PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Three Top Tips for Tailwheels!
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2011, 10:51
Zulu Alpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tailwheels love grass runways!

I chose Sandtoft because the aerodrome was familiar to me, but I should have been more willing at the start to relocate to a better-suited airstrip. After the accident, I now fly the Taylor Monoplane out of a farm strip. The grass surface has a better braking effect than tarmac, which is especially important to prevent weather-cocking, and it’s a lot wider to accommodate the more hairy landings
One other very important feature of grass is the lack of adhesion as you touch down. This means that if your x wind correction leaves any sideways movement you will just skid sideways.
On tarmac its much less likely as the tyres tend to grip. This causes the tyre on the tarmac to grip and the one in the air to continue sideways, thus twisting the aircraft off axis. This is often the start of a groundloop.

I would always recommend starting on grass for a taildragger and then progressing to tarmac. I know several low time tailwheel pilots that have come a cropper when landing on tarmac with a x wind because they hadn't realised how different the landing is compared to grass.