PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alan Mann Helicopters (Nostalgia thread)
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2011, 02:48
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agusta-Bell 206B JetRanger III G-VANG at the Mannstead in June 1982 (Photo: Wingnut)

This Mann-supplied craft began life in June 1981 as G-BIZA then to G-VANG the following year when she signed-up to Skyhook. In 1986 she was bought by 'Hecray' Ltd (when she became G-HRAY) and was the following year bought by Aeromega who re-registered her as G-OMDR.

A private message I recently received reads:

I have read the AMH nostalga thread several times (with much enjoyment) and was wondering about Bob Baff. He was an excellent pilot and instructor and often flew the Bell 47G2 G-ARXH. This machine was owned by the Hon. Mrs Kidd, the grandmother of Jodie. Sadly, Bob died on the 10th Jan 2010. I first met him in 1958.

The brown and gold colours referred to earlier were, IIRC, devised by an agency on the premise that they would instil confidence in the company, brown being a safe "earth" colour and gold for "riches". As TRC says they were awful. The gold was actually real gold leaf sealed with a hard wearing lacquer.

I think I am right in saying that Bob Baff introduced Nicki Papadakis to Alan Mann and put up the money to purchase Fairoaks airfield from Doug Arnold who went on to buy Blackbushe, but that's another story. If Chris Hobbs is a Prune member he would know better than me.

IIRC John Ackroyd-Hunt was an ex Royal Marine pilot along with Mark Lngford, he came from CSE. Johns death was reported in the Field or Shooting Times, I am unable to find the relevant copy, again IIRC he was demonstrating at a country fair and making a low level turn when a main blade struck the ground.

G-BBKP at the time of the accident was owned by the late Viscount Portman, who had met Peter Faulkes in the Navy. The lady passengers' name I know but am reluctant to release because her husband is still alive.

Some of the pilots I recall were : Nigel Thornton (ex Navy,) John Dicken Air Hanson, John Willis (ex Army,) Geoff Cox. Mike Somerton-Rayner (ex Army,) Chris Hunt (ex Army,) Danny Foreman (ex Army) he flew G-AVVH for David Brown, Aston Martin.

How did Paul Midgeley die please?
From this PM it is clear that there are still more ex-Manners on PPRuNe. Here's a reminder of the ones we know:

Andy Healey
ExDesigner
Geoffersincornwall
LAS1997
NJT
TRC
VFR440