PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Paul Holmes and Erebus
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2011, 01:26
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to admit I find it amusing that you speak of the man with such reverence, yet consistently misspell his surname. It's "Chippindale".

The joy of free speech and a free press is that any damn fool can say or print anything they wish, and taking offence on behalf of the dead is a fool's errand. No matter which way you slice it - to run the Antarctic flights the way ANZ did was a mistake. You blame the unions for taking it out of the hands of management captains and you blame Captain Collins and his crew for not being able to unravel the dreadful situation that the poor management and communications practice in the company put them in - fine, that's your lookout.

But as with many disasters of this type the truth of the matter went beyond piloting and aviation skills and showed a flawed system that promised the crews several redundant layers of safety - every single one of which was defeated by a late-night flight plan alteration at a computer terminal which was unannounced and undetected.

Everyone's going to have their own opinion - it's the way of things. I don't think theres any further resolution beyond this point.