PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One German sky for Europe?
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2011, 16:52
Kiwitraveller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do the sums

Saintex

You will have to develop your own opinion on that one.

To work it out you will need to read the report of the EU Independent Performance Review Board - its worth the effort.

Then take a look at any European ANSP costs, and head count - this is all public information.

Then work out how that ANSP can meet its cost and capacity obligations under the performance scheme. (Safety has to improve at the same time)

As this thread is called one German Sky for Europe, try the numbers for DFS. It really is an interesting exercise. Belgocontrol is even more fun.

It should not take long to figure out that the ATCOs will have fewer managers, head offices will be smaller, training will be outsourced, and most likely ANS provision at smaller airports will be contracted out to smaller and cheaper providers, so that the en-route service costs can be kept down. All this to reduce unit rate charges to airlines.

So what does that mean for the European collective policy? I don't know, but I doubt there is any scenario where pay and conditions will get better. Remember your admin colleagues and your managers are looking at fewer jobs, at least the operational ATCOs will still have employment.

But thats just my opinion!

Katie