PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 final crew conversation - Thread No. 1
Old 16th Dec 2011, 15:57
atpcliff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wanted to add my experience of doing things in the airplane that you are not trained to do, and have never come up before.

I recently finished a training course on a glass, automated jet (NOT as new as the Airbus in question). While online, we had a directed go around, while in a non-standard configuration, quite far from the runway, after we had captured the localizer and glideslope.

ATC told us to do a left climbing turn to a heading and an altitude. While this situation would seem "easy", and it would have been in a DC-9 or a C-172, it was quite different in our automated cockpit. We never have trained for this, or seen it in the sim or online (and the capt had lots of online experience).

While we ended up doing what ATC required, there was quite a bit of confusion, and we had to cobble together a number of things before we had the automation turned back on again and everything was back to normal. It took us some debriefing time afterwards to figure out what would be the best course of action if the same thing happened again.

Note: This was a MUCH simpler situation than the A-330 crew experienced, but because we had no training of any kind for this manuever, and no one had ever seen it or thought about doing it, it was awkward, and a lot more complicated than it had to be. If we had seen this in the sim even once, it would have been 10 times easier.

I think in the future, setting up the sims and training to recover from a fully stalled situation is imperative. My understanding is that most simulators today cannot replicate a fully stalled situation.