PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Great step-by-step of a real engine failure in IMC.
Old 16th Dec 2011, 11:51
AdamFrisch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I rarely fly at night - precisely because no matter what you do, there are so few options. Over water, you can (and should) carry a life raft, but there is no viable escape route for night flight.
It terrifies me even in a twin at times. Came back on my last leg into Los Angeles about 2 months ago and had to traverse some of the higher peaks in the Sierra Nevada range after dark. My mind was set on getting back and not stop so close to home (I know, not good, but that's how it was). Pitch black, and under me are jagged peaks well above my single engine ceiling should one quit... Since it's also high desert there's literally not a light in sight - nobody lives there and there are no roads. It's just a black hole in front of you. So you simply have to hope your QNH is correct and that the published peak altitudes or MEA's are correct.. When the lights of Palm Springs finally appeared ahead of me, it was like being born again.