PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One German sky for Europe?
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2011, 07:28
Kiwitraveller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Topupper

Pay attention to EU and state political decisions around Single Europeaan Sky. Eurocontrol is an organisation of states (governments), that also happens to have a historical ANSP role at MUAC.

Eurocontrol has been in 2011 appointed by the EU as the SES Network Manager, it will also be the Flow Manager (same thing really) and the route charges collector. It has not been appointed as an ANSP.

The FABs are now the state organisations for ANSP. Not Eurocontrol.

The political debate now is only where MUAC will end up, not whether Eurocontrol will remain an ANSP. Eurocontrol will also lose it's prior regulatory role to EASA - again this has already largely happened.

Whether the FABs will eventually work is a secondary point (I think they will fail) Most likely in my opinion is a DFS takeover of MUAC, per my previous post. Why? Because the EU is demanding consolidation in Europe and Eurocontrol cannot remain as an ANSP it has lost the legal remit.

LVNL and Belgocontrol will be reduced to TMA managers - which is really all they are now - and forced by the EU performance scheme demands to downsize their costs, which in turn will mean more cost scrutiny and likely a loss of non-operational roles in management. They are both likely candidates for DFS takeover. Just like Lufthansa and SN Brussels really! At the end of the day its about money. This may end up being how FABEC actually works! (with France or Germany absorbing Skyguide)

All very interesting to watch. The only thing that is certain is change. Any of this can be argued, but it is where European ATC is headed right now.

Katie