PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SARH
Thread: SARH
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2011, 07:03
AvWO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, this post has gone down a rabbit hole!

Merlin as CSAR asset
Llamaman - I did a SEREO course in '08 and we were briefed up by the RAF Reg guys on that capability. Only trouble was it was UK based and they would need to be transported, with the aircraft, to wherever the CSAR was happening. Estimated time - 4 days! It's a shame as it was a real effort to develop a TRAP-style capability. (Sorely lacking off Libya this year - hence the US HH-60 aircraft).

NVG Routes

In the UK a local wires map is maintained by all Squadrons to allow NVG flying within a defined area with no day recce (at VL anyway). This requires all aircrew to keep it up to date and report new obstacles (i.e. tell your oppo!).

On Ex/Ops for the junglies one of the first things to go up is the master wires map and we all start filling it in from there. I think then any Op that takes place without a day recce can have some of the risk mitigated. From what I've seen with computer mission planners this skill seems to die a death and printed maps might have a very neat route but little local knowledge applied. Although I wouldn't say no to a moving map display in the aircraft...

JWP 3-66
Someone asked if this was now a JDP; no it's not as it deals with the tactical warfare aspects of conducting JPR. A JDP generally deals with the higher level strategic thoughts for commanders. Basically it means as a user (i.e. aircrew) you can pick it up and apply the contents, a JDP is for the force commanders. The DCDC website is quite good for researching this stuff.

Back to this thread
As an aside, I put the reference to JWP 3-66 in becasue it highlights that UK SAR was procured for recovery of downed military crews, with the aid to civil powers (rescuing civilians) as a secondary role. I agree that that now it is being contracted out, SARH will need its primary mission redifined. I'm assuming that SAR of downed military crews will take a back seat if the Rescue Coordination Centre deems it lower priority. A shame if MOD is still paying for it...