PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will Puma Survive?
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2011, 21:11
Archimedes

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
For what it's worth, Sec of State referred to the Puma upgrade in his evidence to the Select Committee last Wednesday:

Q84 Bob Russell: I am not sure whether you have read Jane’s Defence Weekly for November-I must admit I have not-but I have an extract: "MoD chiefs are to receive the Defence Rotary-Wing Strategy document later in November, which contains further plans for cuts in spending on the helicopter capabilities of the Royal Navy, British Army and Royal Air Force." We are now in the first week of December, so are you able to enlighten the Committee on what that strategy document says? Or has it not yet arrived with you?

Mr Hammond: It has not yet arrived on my desk. What I can tell you is that I was able to see at Colchester on Monday the upgraded version of the Lynx, which will, of course, in due course be replaced by the Wildcat when that is delivered into service. As you know, we have committed to the delivery of 14 additional Chinooks, which will take our fleet to 60 aircraft. We are already under way with the upgrading of the Puma fleet, and the first upgraded aircraft have been delivered. So there are a number of steps in place to maintain the helicopter fleet at the level required for current operations and to support the contingency element.

Q87 Bob Russell: Will there be a shortfall against Future Force 2020?
Mr Hammond: I do not believe so. My understanding is that the programmes that we have in place, including the Lynx replacement, the Puma upgrade and the new Chinooks, will deliver us the requirements to deliver the-
Q88 Bob Russell: We may need to focus on that when you come before us in a future session. Finally, Secretary of State, are you in a position, either today or subsequently, to outline the plans and timetable for bringing rotary wing capability into balance?
Mr Hammond: I am not sure what you mean by bringing it into balance.
Q89 Bob Russell: Well, you are telling the Committee, as I understand it, that there are sufficient helicopters in theatre and ordered. You are absolutely convinced that when we get to Future Force 2020, everything will be okay.
Mr Hammond: My understanding is that the Joint Helicopter Command believes that we have the existing equipment, the planned upgrades and the newly ordered equipment that will deliver the capability that we need for Future Force 2020. If, when I check that, Chairman, I find that I need to correct it, I will write to you.
(from the uncorrected evidence).

It reads to me as though any decision not to continue hasn't reached SofS yet and that he might be a tad surprised to discover the upgrade isn't going ahead.

By the by, Howarth's observations were about 2025 - Flight and various other open sources have Puma 2 going out of service in 2024/25, so the fact that he failed to mention it isn't necessarily indicative of cancellation (and aren't there suggestions that Puma 2 has some influential supporters amongst those in charge of chaps resident in the Credenhill and Poole areas?) - Puma's meant to be replaced by a future medium helicopter capability, which translates as 'we'll all be retired, out of office or doddering about in the Lords by the time that comes to fruition, so someone else can worry about the specifics and how to bodge the project when we get closer to the date if there's any cash'.