PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SARH
Thread: SARH
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2011, 20:50
Tallsar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally I don't think the NVG route recces issue is going to help the outcome of the SAR competition...can't think why! Perhaps a new thread for that might be helpful.

Ok Biggus.... Here we go. Frankly it's difficult to justify Portland... From an objective coverage and response perspective, anyway. Lee and Portland together do half the call outs of the busy places such as Prestwick, Chiv, Lossie, valley etc. In fact the distance between them is much shorter than most of the others, so from that perceptive, it's politics and emotion that keeps Portland going, not balanced demand.

Boulmer closing I have much more difficulty with. Prestwick at 140kts can do a lot as can Lec flying North. But my ruler suggests the coastal areas of Geordie land etc will not be well served. Furthermore, that area is still a busyish military flying area, which will not be well served either. As for the Lake District, those there and their associated MRTs will have to rely, mostly, on Prestwick...usually the busiest SAR Flt in the country and well preoccupied with the hard and high stuff around the Ben or flitting around the islands doing their med transfer stuff. No, closing Boulmer does not make sense to me.

Not convinced about only having cabs with smaller capacity all the way the eastern and southern coast from Lec right around to Culdrose.... The busiest sea lane in the world would seem to suggest the need for something bigger nearby.

So there ya go!