PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Russian task group
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2011, 20:46
glojo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Serge,
Thank you so much for posting that Youtube clip.... I HATE COLD WEATHER, hence I live in the South-West of England. I felt so sorry for that child who lost their hat!! Thank goodness they did not get run over trying to recover it. To put things in perspective my children who are now in their late twenties have only ever seen snow once in their lives and that was last year!!

I agree with you when you state how your ships would easily deal with the current sea conditions. I served on a frigate that was just over 2500 tons and she would easily have sailed through those types of sea. I have fond memories regarding some pilots that if the need arose would fly their wasp helicopter in hurricane force winds!! (not all of them would)

I guess landing a helicopter on the moving ride of a big dipper might, just might be more difficult, but in Force 12 or 13 hurricane force winds with the ship going up and down like a see-saw and rolling from side to side, with ice on the decks and of course the ship trying to make head-way is not something I would be first in the queue to try. Then once safely down on the deck having to rely on the deck handlers to run out with strops to lash the thing down. That takes HUGE cajones.

RESPECT with a capital 'R' to these brave men in their flying machines

Who really knows why that Russian group of ships decided to pay us a visit?

Tongue in cheek and just for the conspiracy idiots that sometimes play their
..The Volga Boatman I just love that music and never tire of listening to it. (I hope I have the correct title)