PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Great step-by-step of a real engine failure in IMC.
Old 15th Dec 2011, 17:41
Genghis the Engineer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
Very interesting, and well presented.

I couldn't help laugh when he phoned ATC to say he was down alive, and their first response was to cancel his IFR flight plan. But they must have been having nearly as much a white knuckle ride as he did.

I personally think that ATC was right to steer him to the airfield they did - because it wasn't surrounded by connurbation. The fact that he, and most of the aeroplane, survived, seems to bear that out.

In retrospect *perhaps* he could or should have killed the engine once on short finals, and *perhaps* he could have landed a little earlier by sideslipping off the last bit of height, as well as used that and/or S-turns to get rid of his excess speed.

But his main learning points about decision making and communication strike me as excellent. And clearly, regardless of any nitpicking I or anybody else can do, he AND ATC handled it damned well.

If that had been me, I'd pull it apart and criticise myself, but still feel very proud to have pulled it off.

G