PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MARRIED QUARTERS UK Germany Aden
View Single Post
Old 15th Dec 2011, 12:19
SOSL

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mrs SOS and I occupied 2 MQs in Cyprus during the mid 1980's.

The first was in Berengaria, down in Limassol, It was a corrugated metal construct, it had 7 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, a huge dining room, a huge sitting room, a long corridor which ran the length of the building and a kitchen the size of a large wardrobe!

Berengaria also had an Olympic sized (unheated, but who cared?) swimming pool and a secret all ranks drinking club (well it was a secret from Mrs SOS).

We used to buy our groceries from a little shop, outside the compound, run by a guy called Ginger - he had a tiny shop but somehow or other he always managed to find whatever bits and pieces I wanted.

After about 3 months we were offered a quarter in Kensington Park up at Epi, we moved up and were accommodated in a delightful, but much smaller building, which was much more convenient because I was based at Epi, on the AHQ Cyprus.

Shortly thereafter SOSlet No. 1 arrived in the maternity ward of TPMH and after a few days was introduced to her nursery in the Kensington MQ. She then went on to become a fat and happy baby expat.

After 18 months, on posting, we were marched out of the quarter. By then Episkopi was a garrison and the march out was conducted by a WO1. We had put lots of posters up on our walls with Bluetack. When we took them all down the bluetack pulled away large chunks of the weak plaster, leaving big holes in most of the walls.

The WO1 turned to me and said "lot of holes in your walls, sir" I replied " yes Mr xxxx but I didn't mean to do it"

He then said "You've made a mess of the walls, sir, but I'll put it down to water damage and I suggest you put it down to experience".

Best wishes SOS

Last edited by SOSL; 15th Dec 2011 at 14:53. Reason: Sp