PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 final crew conversation - Thread No. 1
Old 14th Dec 2011, 15:28
Lonewolf_50

Received 445 Likes on 281 Posts
Thanks, clive, for being in violent agreement with me. I don't know how many courses currently teach "stalls in IMC" as a standard maneuver.

Back when I taught such things, in a non-FBW trainer, stalls and spins "under the bag" (to simulate IMC) were an advanced maneuver.

Our topic is a mishap in an FBW aircraft that is flown with a SideStick. I am very familiar, thanks, with control positions and developing feel in non-FBW aircraft.

If your aircraft is FBW, you have to fly it and deal with it as FBW, not as if it were not.

Let me put this in a different way: if you fly a fixed wing aircraft in to land the same way as you fly a helicopter in to land, and use that feel, you may put yourself in a bad situation. (High flare, bleeding off airspeed farther above ground than you should). I know, this since I've done it. I waved off the approach. You fly fixed wing aircraft by a different combination of scan and control movements than you do a helicopter.

The analogy is very rough, but it seems to fit the idea of applying techniques appropriate to the airframe you are flying.

Is there a 'stalls under the bag' / 'stalls in IMC' training module in Airbus qualification?

Would you consider that an advanced maneuver?

Would you, when analyzing the training system and the system to be trained on, consider making your learning objective the recognition and prevention of stall the core competency?