PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Decision to axe Harrier is "bonkers".
View Single Post
Old 14th Dec 2011, 12:17
WE Branch Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Although you do have a point regarding Cottesmore, I think some may consider the Harrier disposal to be rather hasty (the UK does have a record of selling things and then realising that we actually do need them) for several reasons:

1. There are still great uncertainties over the retention and development of skills needed for CVF and F35C. It was only a couple of years ago I heard the Fleet Air Arm Command Warrant Officer describing how much practice would be needed to build up the skills levels of hundreds of people - the majority of whom cannot be sent on exchange.

2. There seems to be no answer to the question of what we do should a crisis occur in which we need maritime force projection (beyond the limited range of Apache, the range of the 4.5" gun, or limited numbers of TLAM - the launch platforms for which will be in short supply in a few years time).

3. There is no answer to what we do in a crisis involving the need to have defence for a maritime task force beyond the range of shipborne weapons/sensors, particularly if we need to intercept and visually identify aircraft in a situation that is less than all out war. What will we do? Perhaps consider thinking outside the box (see my previous comments)?

4. The world SDSR foresaw does not exist, but we seem to be pretending that it does. Is there an Iranian Elephant in the room?

Consider these two papers:

Closing Time

US-Iranian Confrontation At Sea

5. Not everyone agrees with the SDSR outcomes (which appear to have been changed at the last minute to fit the views of the then CGS).

6. The fight against Al Qaeda is now moving into Africa and the Arabian peninsula.

7. If the Government are proved right, then this might be seen as an astute decision that saved money. If they are proved wrong, then the price will not simply financial, but also blood and fire.

Last edited by WE Branch Fanatic; 15th Dec 2011 at 10:13.