PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Foreign pilots warn about Turkish Airline in Danish news paper Politikken
Old 14th Dec 2011, 04:56
fdr

Received 861 Likes on 257 Posts
"no need to do preflight-before start-start-before taxi-before take off checklist" and soon later "shut up rookie, i can fly this thing with my d..k"..!! do you guys really really believe ? if you're a real airline pilot you must know that every item on this checklist is very very very
CIGZDOZENNNZ

Really.

1. Been there, witnessed first hand. Left. BTW the management barely understood the issue that is exposed by this behaviour, as you apparently don't either.

2. The reason that checklists are used is that humans have severe limitations on accuracy of memory in dealing with multitask situations. If you consider that all checklists should be able to be memorised and used from memory, I think you should fit right in into the B737 fleet at least at THY. Good Luck, we will just be watching from the sidelines or awaiting highlights in the funny pages.

This is not a bash a nationality issue, it is a problem that a particular system has evolving from it's problematic past, and which is fighting rather well to maintain a status quo ante. I am being very guarded about what I say re the program, what is occurring under the slight ripples on the surface are truly shocking, and I merely rely on my own observations as an air safety investigator in that respect.

The simulators were actually rather good in condition, other than the oldest of the B737 fleets which are barely fit as procedural trainers. The B777 is state of the art, and the guys running that program are good value. I have very good Turkish friends and they would love to see their system change, however they are aware that is it is in many areas of the world, change can be painful, and strong are the forces that oppose change. It was always a hope that A and also SG would achieve a change in attitude, that has not been observed.

As has been said before, there are good people in the program, it is the program that has issues changing the entrenched, self perpetuating non compliance that is so rampant on cursory examination of the program.

great food, and good people. (Istanbul is one of my favorite cities).