PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Required landing distance available. Does inflight requirement exist?
Old 13th Dec 2011, 20:36
safetypee

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Geardownandlocked, my caution was aimed at the industry wide issues, not your specific documents.

I don’t know why manufacturers don’t supply factored distances; perhaps due to the apparent differences in use between FAA and EU requirements.
To add to any confusion, the Boeing ‘actual’ distances which I referred to (B737 QRH) are not the same values as the certificated actual landing distances (AFM), this is because Boeing include reverse thrust and recommend the use of a different (but still short) airborne distance.

Re differences in dispatch and airborne calculations:
In the EU there should not be any difference in the method, and with the same data, nor in the result; but note that dispatch is usually on forecast conditions, whereas the crew must use actual conditions. Also some dispatch options can use still air.
In the US it is unlikely that the methods/distances will be the same, the in-flight calculated distances being shorter (ref SAFO 06012), but I am not sufficiently experienced with their system to be sure of the increased risk.