PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - N Reg Bell47 From Milan to UK?
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2011, 16:59
feathering tickles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having done the run many times in various machines, including wee pistons, I suggest;

1) take plenty of cash for AVGAS, quite a few airfields won't take credit cards.

2) take the scenic route along the Riviera initially, maybe stop at Monaco Helipad (no AVGAS but worth a visit for novelty value). Maybe stop at Portofino for lunch (PM for nearby private landing site details)

3) From Cannes head off to one of several airfields to the NW - that way you can choose to enjoy the mountain passes by keeping Eish or steer more Wish to avoid if the weather is not conducive.

4) Try to visit Tarare (w of Lyon, LFHV) (contact Patrick, VERY helpful and speaks English) for an overnight stop. Tarare is the home of the Beaujolais Heli-club (two of my favourite words in one name!!) The Chateau de Bagnols around the corner is fantastic and they'll pick you up from the airfield so you don't need a Helisurface permit.

5) Albenga, Dijon Longvic, Valence, Avignon, Castellet, Soissons, Albert, Reims Prunay, Le Touquet also very helpful. They pretty much all close the fuel station for lunch and they will not open even if you beg! (I have tried the begging - and bribery to no avail!)

6) If you've got time to wait for a Helisurface permit, drop me a PM and I'll send you the free, yes free, form. (Maybe you already have the permit.)

In that case also get the Relais&Chateaux Hotel guide which gives you their hotel helipad details and co-ordinates.

7) DO learn the few French words and phrases you'll need to visit the smaller French speaking airfields. (see any of the French "Pooleys" equivalents). If you stick to just the English speaking airfields you'll miss some real gems and characters - they're sure to make you even more welcome in the '47.

8) Do make sure your paperwork is in order and presentable - you're quite likely to be asked for it on the N-reg.

Last edited by feathering tickles; 13th Dec 2011 at 17:10.