PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Foreign pilots warn about Turkish Airline in Danish news paper Politikken
Old 13th Dec 2011, 14:34
captplaystation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the Turkish company I flew for, the purpose of checklists seemed to have slipped by most of the FO's, which leads me to believe the real problem was the (local) Capt's , or the training.
During the reading of a challenge/response checklist, if one hesitated more than half a second, or paused to perhaps hear a radio call for us/or some other distraction, most of them would just keep reading down the list without waiting the response.
How many times I whilst trying to explain, you challenge I respond, if I don't, or I respond wrongly , you must either wait, or challenge me again.
This should not be required with supposedly qualified crew.
I once cocked up an approach at night into a desert runway, the one sat next to me ("supposed" to be pilot MONITORING ) clearly saw it all going for a crock of sh1t, yet said nothing. At the subsequent debrief, he could offer no explanation for saying nothing, & I truly was not a difficult person to remonstrate with.
In the space of a couple of weeks I had to take over 4 times on landing, on long runways in good conditions, & a previous life as a flying instructor ensures I am not one constantly covering the controls just waiting to grab them as soon as any deviation is identified. I have never flown with such a passive bunch, terrified of their own shadows, in most cases unable/unwilling to demonstrate any initiative, I am sure due to being browbeaten any time they opened their mouths in the past.
All in all, with the exception of a few very pleasant & exceptional guys, the majority were totally at odds with modern CRM thinking, and we all know who sets the mood /standard of operation/communication in the cockpit.
What I saw in the Sim during my Turkish Airlines assessment, & during my OCC for the other company, was like a throwback to a different era.
The only thing that will change this is the gradual retirement/replacement of the current LHS occupants with a new generation, but this takes decades.
Not trying to be offensive to our Turkish contributors, but I have to tell it as it is. Denial & blaming Boeing did no favours to how the outside world viewed your response to the AMS accident, a true professional knows just what a small part of that causal chain can be put down to a simple A/T failure.
Sometimes there is no nice way of putting it, but the general standards I viewed were not up to scratch for a company/country that sometimes claims to be European.